Friday, June 4, 2010

The Beach


The weather has been super nice the last few weeks, so nice that we decided to venture out with a bunch of Moms for a trip to the beach with the kids.  The idea of it sounded like fun....until we got there and I realized I was slightly in over my head.  Biggest Mistake... I brought way too much stuff!  beach umbrella, chair, sand toys for Ave, a cooler with snacks, 2 water bottles, Greyson's diaper bag, a bag with a change of clothes for Avery, towels, sun screen, etc., and a bag for my camera.  Somehow I carried all of this, plus Greyson in his car seat from the parking lot down to the beach area.  We made it down there, Ave was having a blast digging in the sand with her friends....and then Greyson woke up.  Lets just say, we wasn't loving his first trip to the beach.  I did snap a few pics of him, and then he screamed bloody murder for what seemed like an hour until I finally got him to sleep.  He stayed asleep for about 10 minutes, when I realized I was in over my head and decided it was time to go.  I had to convince Avery, who couldn't understand why I would want to leave such an exciting place as the beach, as her brother is again crying hysterically.  Luckily, I had great friends around to watch the kids so that I could make 2 trips back to the car with all the crap I thought I had to have.  By the time I got all the stuff and the kids loaded in the car, then Avery said "Mom, I have to go potty", I thought I was going to die. The only bathrooms were all the way back down at the beach area.  There was no way I could carry Greyson and her (she decided she couldn't walk because there was sand in her shoes) back down there.  I tried to convince her it was OK to go potty outside in the grass just this once.  She refused because she is a girl and only boys go potty outside. I explained that she had no choice and she said she could hold it until we got home.  Well five minutes down the road she is crying and telling me to pull over, she wants to go in the grass on the side of the road.  So I did...and she did.  I was proud of her...and completely exhausted.  It was one of those memorable mom days that I will never forget.

....but Avery had fun, so it was worth it...right!?!


Greyson's first trip to the beach! He was lovin' it!

Not so much!



6 comments:

Natalie said...

He is such a cute baby! You're brave. We didn't even make it to the beach. I thought about it but Tyson was cranky and I was worried about having to watch him and taking care of a screaming baby and so we stayed home. I'm sorry it didn't go as well as you were hoping. You should try again and next time I'll go too.

Retro Plants said...

how stinking cute!
your kids are GORGEOUS!

what a great momma you are!
beach days can be fun. . . and quite stressful :)

you are BRAVE with a capital B!
way to go Candice :)

Ariel said...

Oh man! What a funny story. Avery is too funny. She always has not liked sand in her toes.

sher said...

it gets better, it gets better...your an awesome mom to attempt it all! if anything it was worth the pictures.

Jessie said...

Avery is such beautiful!! I loved her expression! :o)

Britta said...

Your pics are adorable, as usual, and I can't get enough of those kids. SO CUTE. I got lucky that beach day since Andrea came with me. An extra pair of hands are so nice.