Saturday, November 14, 2009

Mission Accomplished

For the last month or so, I have spent every morning on the phone and internet in search of the H1N1 vaccine for Avery and I. Since we are both "high risk", I really never thought it was going to be so hard to get our hands on. My OBGYN decided since he never gets the flu or flu shots, that his patients didn't need to have the vaccine. So he didn't order it and refused to offer it to his pregnant patients ?!? After many failed attempts to get it from other offices that where saving their supply for their patients only, I let my OB know that I was considering transfering to another office to get the vaccine. I suggested he call in a favor to one of his OB buddies who did order the vaccine, and the next day I got from the office letting me know they had located one and were holding it for me at an office in Niagara Falls.
It was a bit of a drive, but getting the vaccine makes me feel a lot better about flying home for the holidays. Getting the shot for Avery was a whole other issue. Her Ped office had it for a fraction of a week, never offered it for her age group and then ran out. Luckily Ez was watching the news on Thursday night when they announced a Swine Flu vaccine clinc that was being held 45 mins away in the neighboring county. They urged people to not arrive early. I didn't listen and neither did the 300 other people that were standing outside in line before me when I showed up. After 3.5 HOURS of waiting outside...we are both vaccinated!
Keeping Avery entertained for almost 4 hours standing in line wasn't the easiest thing. I am lucky she loves Sleeping Beauty and Snow White so much, she sat happily in her stroller watching her DVD player for the most part. There were so many parents that had it worse than I did. The worst part was definitly when we neared the end of the line where the shots were being given. You would have thought kids were dying in there with all the terrified screams coming from the shot room. It was hard to convince the kids still waiting to get closer to that room they were in line for a good reason. Slightly tramatizing for all involved.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Good for you for putting the smack down on your OBGYN! I love it!

kandis said...

I can not believe what a pain it was for you guys! I LoVE that you told your Dr. what was up! LOL!

Krystal said...

Now we can definitely hang out because I now at least you guys won't have the swine flu (not so sure about Ezra thought :) ). Way to get it done!

Britta said...

You are hilarious. I'm glad it all worked out. I love the Dr. Avery post too - awesome! Maybe we need to try that method out...